Thursday, May 13, 2010

Caught by surprise

Yesterday was my first day to work in the library during vacation period. As a student assistant, I was supposed to close down the library when the time comes. Of course before closing, we would need to inform a user. So I did as what my supervisor told me, inform politely. There were 2 last users there yesterday, one girl, one "ang moh" gentleman. The girl was fine with the information, quickly pack up and leave, but the gentleman, upon me informing, he looked quite startled. So i repeat myself, and he gave me this answer : "Yeah, I know, you've already said that. And now you repeated it twice." So I just gave him a smile and thought it's nothing. Little did I know he is a friend of my supervisor's boss, and after going out of the library, he messaged the boss saying "I was rudely kicked out of the library." Now I am confused. Is " I'm sorry, but we are closing the library soon" sounds rude to you? I don't know.

My mood was quite disturbed this morning not because I felt sad for myself, but I felt bad for my supervisor as Big Boss will go directly to her and not me. In the short morning, the story spread to the whole library staff (but there's only 3 of them :D). Although everyone trust that I am well-mannered enough not to communicate rudely with that "special" user but I still feel bad for causing so much trouble to them. Well, I know this is what you'll encounter at work. Different type if people with different type of thinking and interpretations. Maybe I should gave him another alternative instead of just stopping at the end of my sentence. Maybe my communication skills are not on par with his. Whatever reasons, it's a lesson learned. Learned a new way to communicate and handle people better. I hope.
I always thought that "ang moh"s are pretty understanding, open-minded and polite but I guess different "ang moh"s just like normal people have different characteristic. Haha.. I was actually caught by surprise! Naive me. Time to grow up and face the world :D

Time to look at the world with a different prospect

No comments:

Post a Comment