Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Give and Take

Give and take. That's what I learned about for this exchange program. When I signed up for INSTEP, I already know that I would need to make sacrifices in order to come here as course matching is always causing problem. While everybody is clearing the life-taking Year 4 Major Electives during exchange to escape from being graded, I am still left with Year 3 core modules (including a 6 hours lab/week for my final semester). And, I've switched from choosing Industrial Attachment to doing Research Project, in an environment that I am totally not familiar with. I am risking not clearing the modules which will contribute to my majors. But for the once in a lifetime experience, I think all the giving in will be totally worth it.

Now that I am here, with the project rolling, I am very very occupied, with literature reading, lab work, course work, self studying blah blah blah. The teaching/learning fashion is very different from what I did in NTU. The class is 10 times smaller, and very little spoon feeding. Notes is given, but a lot of self-reading and exercises are required. To me, giving up learning in the comfort zone of Singapore is not a bad thing at all. At least, if I have the chance to continue my studies here, I would know what to expect.

One month down and 4 months to go. Everybody is excited, planning for trips to the Europe, around UK, skipping classes because every modules taken here is a pass/fail (40% to pass). But, since my FYP is a graded one, I need to put in 100% or more effort into the research project. So, while everyone is planning to go away starting from next week, I will need to lock myself up in the lab to try to finish my project by next month and churn out a report by the month after next. Give and take. I will miss skiing with boyfriend in Sweden and maybe the whole drive around UK trip. I do hope my giving in brings me at least A- for my project so that I could at least have chance to pull my grades a little bit higher.

To be on exchange is such a great experience. Although I know I will miss out some of the fun, at least I am going to have experience that is going to last me for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment